Title: If Only For Tonight Author: Elizabeth L. Iacono Rating: PG Category: Vignette Keywords: Doggett POV Spoilers: The Gift Summary: "Tonight I looked through his eyes, and I saw how he thinks." Note: I haven't read any other post eps for 'The Gift' yet, so if anyone else has something similar out, it wasn't intentional. Thanks to Maeve for the beta! :-) Disclaimer: None of the characters mentioned are mine. Feedback: Brings light to my bleak college life. RhiaRamsay@aol.com Archiving: I'll send it to Gossamer and the Spookys. Xemplary, KTF, Legacy, and Ephemeral (if they're still doing it like this, I'm not sure of the posting policy any more) can have it automatically. Anyone else, please ask me first. If Only For Tonight Elizabeth L. Iacono As far as I can tell, Fox Mulder and I are nothing alike. We come from totally different backgrounds, he an Oxford grad, me a Marine. We've got totally different views of the world around us, and if you asked me any thing about who he really was I would have just shrugged and pointed you in the direction of Agent Scully. But tonight... Tonight I looked through his eyes, and I saw how he thinks. It was almost frightening in a way, to be able to get myself into his head like that, amongst all the cobwebs and little green men. I wonder if it was like that for Mulder when he was doing profiles, getting so deep into the heads of the scum of the earth. Did he start acting like them? Thinking like them? I don't know. I don't think I'll ever know, and I'm not sure I want to know. I deal with facts, cold hard truths that I can wrap my fingers around and see with my eyes. This...this is something totally out of my league. But for this one night I saw through his eyes, and I think I have a better understanding about the man behind the spooky myth. Fox Mulder went to Pennsylvania to find a soul eater, a legendary creature rumored to heal people by consuming and taking their illnesses into itself. A short while later Mulder returns to put three bullets into the creature. Why? What would possess him to murder a man in cold blood? When it's not a murder in cold blood at all. When it's an attempt to spare a being any more pain in a long, painful life. Mulder looked into the creature's eyes and saw pain, a pain that he wanted to try to alleviate. Most men I know would take the other way out, to run the other way and never look back. But not Mulder. He was the one to go and get rid of the creature's pain, irregardless of how everyone else would hate him for it. What does that say about his character? That he's a nut? That all those rumors about him being one card short of a full deck are true? I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. I think it was a very honorable move on his part. Being in the Marines you learn all about honor, what it is and how to act it. Mulder wasn't a Marine, not by far, but I get the feeling that this noble streak is just somehow a part of who he is. It also makes me wonder if he ever went through with the cure. I get the feeling that he didn't. Why would he add to another's pain so he could get rid of his own? From what I can tell, it doesn't seem like something he'd do. Whatever the answer is, maybe I'll ask him about it when he gets back from wherever he is. So where does that leave me? I guess still in the basement, looking for him and keeping an eye out for his partner (whom I suspect, but cannot confirm is his partner in more ways than one). I'm not trying to become him, no way in hell, but, if only for tonight, I understood him. I even had an experience that would qualify as a bona fide X-File. I get the feeling Mulder would be proud. That's all folks! Just a little shortie spurred on by the return of my favorite FBI agent...and it ain't Doggett I'm talking about. *veg* Liz/Lizabelle/Lizzie ************************************* The Pseudo1013 Gang: Smurf- PseudoChris: Have you seen my board? Brie - PseudoFrank: You gotta try some of this! jeri - PseudoDuchovny: Solving the mystery of the heart, one story at a time. Liz - PseudoVince: You cannot resist the Fluff...... Lola - PseudoMark: The X-Files is a show.....With music by Mark Snow..... Mel - PseudoKim: What the *bleep* *bleep* *bleepidy*? Katrinka - PseudoTom: Whoa whoa, simmer people, simmer. Maeve - PseudoMorgan'n'Wong: We got the strength of our beliefs. Rotem - PseudoShiban: Baaa. Meow. Kate - PseudoRob: And I thought I was nuts. Lara - PseudoJeffrie: The blind leading the blind... Alexa - PseudoDavidA: Mine mine mine, he's all mine! Mike - PseudoLoriJo : It's like a little boys' nursery school I've come upon here.