Title: It Was Snowing Author: Jewel Feedback: If you don't send it to LittleLadyhawke@aol.com, I'll jump! I swear I will! Disclaimer: Although I believe they may belong to me, my lawyer told me to say Chris Carter and 1013 Productions own 'em. Classification: MSR, V Rating: a solid PG Spoilers: Hmm Nope, I don't see any. Archival: Anywhere, and Every where. Just let me know. I like to visit. Summary: Choices Author's Notes: Thanks, as always, to Kemystre for her encouragement and Beta. I got this idea while listening to a song from AnnieLenox off of her "Medusa" album. No, this is not a songfic. I have posted the words at the end of the story for those who are interested. It Was Snowing... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ It was snowing. She was barely aware of the white flakes as they floated to the pavement. She walked down the street oblivious to the world as it bustled around her. It was never easy was it? Life was always full of choices. Right choices and wrong choices. Most of the time one never knew the right from the wrong until it was too late. Where did she begin? How did she begin? What was going to be expected of her? This was a choice she never thought she would have to make. When it started all those years ago, she'd never imagined that all of the choices, right or wrong, that were made wouldlead her to this moment. This moment, walking down an almost deserted sidewalk. It was snowing. Without even noticing, she had ended up where she had known she inevitably would. She would not go in, at least yet. Was she ready to take this step? Would she *ever* be ready to take this step? The line from the song that she'd been hearing a lot of recently, popped in her head: "Some people never say the words I love you, It's not their style to be so bold. Some people never say the words I love you, But like a child they are longing to be told" She sat down on the stoop, and watched the snowfall around her. Maybe they would have a white Christmas this year after all. She looked to the heavens, and was rewarded with the sight of gossamer flakes floating out of the darkness. She shivered, but it wasn't from the cold. There was something monumental about to happen. Something was about to end. That part didn't bother her. Life was about endings and beginnings. What unnerved her was the uncertainty that it would end well. Was this the right or wrong choice? Was this the right or wrong time? Was he the right or wrong man? She knew instinctively that he was home. She didn't have to search for his car, but for no other reason than to buy herself a little more time she did anyway. It was in its usual space, just as she had known it would be. She tried to remember just where she hadparked her car when she had started walking earlier that afternoon. It really didn't matter. She remembered Charlie asking Melissa, when they were younger, how someone knew if they were in love. She would never forget Melissa's wistful smile as she replied, "Well Chuckles, someone comes into your life by either chance or by fate and after you've known them for a while, you realize your life would be very empty without them." She had snorted at Melissa's explanation, and told Charlie that love was nothing more than a series of chemical reactions. As far as she was concerned, that theory had held true through the handful of "serious" relationships she had experienced. All of themexcept one. This one. Well, no sense wasting time, she thought. If things went badly she would have to walk back to her car. Pride would not allow her to ask him for a ride home. She pushed herself up and dusted off the snow that had not yet melted on her coat. With shaking hands, she opened the door that led to the brownstone lobby. In a way it was prophetic. By opening this door, she was opening the door to either the right or wrong choice. Good or bad. She turned and lookedout the glass door. It was snowing. She entered the elevator and subconsciously hit the button that would take her to the fourth floor. She walked slowly down the hall; ready to bolt at any sign that this was the wrong choice. She looked out the window at the end of the hall. It was snowing. She realized, after a moment, that she was in front of his door with her hand poised to knock. Right or wrong? Good or bad? Go or stay? She closed her eyes for a moment, and made a choice. She knocked. It seemed like hours before she heard the lock click on the door. She saw the look of concern on his face. "Is everything all right?" he asked. "I just came over to tell you something," she replied. He motioned for her to come in. He took her damp coat and hung it up. She walked into the living room, and turned to face him. He was waiting. She absentmindedly looked out the window. It was snowing. Good or bad? Right or wrong? Now or never? She looked at him, and made the choice for better or worse. "I...I..." Her throat was suddenly dry. "You what, Scully? Is something wrong?" he asked, his concern almost hitting a fevered pitch. "No, I just wanted to tell you that...um...I..." now or never, "I love you." The choice was made. For better or worse, good or bad, right or wrong, the choice had been made. He didn't answer. He didn't speak. He just stood there for what seemed like hours. It was the wrong choice. Then, he came toward her and wrapped his arms around her. They held each other in stunned silence. After what seemed like an eternity, he asked, "What took you so long?" She smiled and kissed him. It was the right choice. As they held each other closer than either one had dared to dream, she noticed it was snowing. Feedback wanted, needed, and cherished at LittleLadyhawke@aol.com All of my stories can be found at www.geocities.com/Kemystre/jewel.html As promised, the words to the song that inspired me to write this story Took a Little Time You've got the cool water when the fever runs high. And you've got the look of love right in your eyes. And I was in a crazy motion `til you calmed me down. It took a little time, but you calmed me down. Some people never say the words: I love you. It's not their style to, be so bold. Some people never say the words: I love you But like a child, they're longing to be told. They've got a wall in China; it's a thousand miles long, To keep out the foreigners that made it strong. And I've got a wall around me, that you can't even see. It took a little time to get next to me. If something goes wrong, I'm the first to admit it. The first to admit it, but the last one to know. If something goes right, it's likely to lose me. It's apt to confuse me, Because it's such an unusual sight. I can't get used to something so right. Some people never say the words: I love you. It's not their style to be so bold. Some people never say the words: I love you But like a child, I'm longing to be told. They've got a wall in China And I've got a wall around me It took a little time to get next to me.