Title: One More Thing Author: Starbuck Category: MSR Spoilers: X-Files Fight the Future Summary: The last scene of the movie, continued. (Aren't these fun?) Archive: Anywhere, as long as my name etc. is attatched Disclaimer: And now, the moment you've all been waiting for!!! . . . They're not mine. Wow, wasn't that exciting?? Any questions you may have about the proper owner of these wonderful characters that we're all so fond of borrowing and returning at a later date may be directed to Chris (the cool guy himself) Carter, and his little clan of 1013 mutant clone bounty hunter universe protecter all around good guys. Yada yada yada. The end. Feedback: Pretty pretty please with sugar on top. All comments (hopefully positive) should be directed straight to the lonely mailbox of: Starbuck70@aol.com Notes: Well, I figured I should probably jump onto the bandwagon soon before it got too old. Don't worry, this one's really short. X~*~*X~*~*X One More Thing X~*~*X~*~*X Despite the redness on her cheeks and nose, she was beautiful. The sight of her standing there, the sun catching her hair in just the right way, setting it on fire, was breathtaking. And it killed me to say the things that I did. They say that if you truly love something, you have to set it free, and if it comes back to you, it's yours. I had never understood that until now, never fully grasped the gut-wrenching feeling of letting go of one of the strongest forces within my life. My love for her had never been so clear. It was new, it was exciting, and it scared the shit out of me. My desire to pull my gaze from the deep crystal blue of her eyes was met and overpowered by my incessant fixation with her. I couldn't look away, but only stare at her with awe and respect and my underlying hope that she would not leave me. Her face pleaded with me not to look away, and I could deny nothing to that face. The strength and agressiveness that I saw there was something that I thought I had lost in her, but its renewal sparked a fire of hope within me. Her head turned slightly to the side, and she said, with an ironic smile creeping over her face, the words that set my heart free. "If I quit now... They win." I grinned, pure relief and happiness washing over me. If it comes back to you, It's yours. I had set her free. I had to let her know that she could go off and leave me if she wanted, even though my heart along with every other ounce of my body and soul wanted her right here. But she stayed. She stayed. A numbness that I hadn't even been aware of suddenly dissapeared, and I felt her small fingers grasping mine tightly. I let my thumb caress the back of her hand slowly, and my eyes roamed over her face before meeting her own again. I love you, they told her, and I watched as understanding registered within her. She returned the statement silently and wholeheartedly, sealing the pact that stated our eternal loyalty, and our promises never to leave each other. We looked at each other for a moment longer before turning and walking, our hands still interlocked. I pulled my hand away, only long enough to place it on her back gently, though slightly posessively. She was mine. Reality slowly seeped in to our momentary world of surreal happiness, and I grinned again with my second realization of what had just transpired. I left my hand on her back, my fingers curled around her waist, playfuly grasping and toying with the loose cloth that hung there. The shadows from the full leafy trees danced around us in the breeze that felt wonderful against the mid- summer heat. Then again, everything felt wonderful now. The soft clicking of our heels on the pavement, the sound of people chattering around us, even the somewhat oppressive heat didn't bother me. Dana Scully, fighter of all bad things, and bringer of good moods. That sounded about right. She sighed deeply suddenly, and brought me out of my contented musings. I looked down at her, and noticed something lacking. I reached into my pocket, feeling around for the cool metal I knew I'd find there. I looked down at the small gold cross I held in my left hand, and then over at its owner, noting their similarities. Both simple expressions of beauty, holding so much more meaning to those who understand them, cold when left alone, yet turning warm when held and appreciated. The cross was right for her, fitting. I suppose that's why it always came back to her... or she came back to it. It didn't really matter. "Scully..." I said softly. She slowed, then stopped, looking up at me, raising her eyebrow in that familiar questioning look. "One more thing." I said, holding it out to her. Her eyes widened in shock at seeing it, then glittered with happiness at getting it back. It found you again, Scully. I fumbled with the hook for a few seconds, then reached my arms behind her to fasten the clasp. One hand remained behind her head, stroking her hair, while the other traced the gold of the chain as it rested against her chest, one finger remaining on the cross briefly before moving away. "Thank you." She said quietly. Who would have thought that such simple words could carry such meaning? With only two small words, she gave voice to every thought and emotion that had passed between us. I nodded in acknowledgement before whispering gently. "Anything." My right hand which had been tangled in her hair came to cup her cheek, holding it gently, and caressing it lightly with my thumb. Our heads moved closer, puffs of air gracing her reddened cheeks. Her breath came in short nervous little pants, anticipating what would inevitably happen next. I placed my forehead on hers, noses almost touching, lips barely a breath away, and watched as her eyelids fluttered shut. My lips brushed against hers in the softest of kisses, neither demanding, nor passive. And it was she who leaned in to deepen it, strengthening the bond that was already more powerful than any force I'd ever known. Lips met, hearts melded, and souls conjoined. When we finally parted, it was only for lack of air, our lips pulling reluctantly away from each other. I stared at her in amazement and disbelief for a moment before taking her hand and grinning like a fool. "If there had been a bee in my shirt, I'd have been really pissed off," she said with a smile that matched mine, but was a hundred times more radiant. I chuckled softly, and we started walking again alongside the reflecting pool. Together, as always. X~*~*X END! X~*~*X Please send feedback to Starbuck70@aol.com !!!!