Title: The Promise Author: Romantique Classification: VA - Vignette, Angst. Rating: PG. Distribution: Archive anywhere, but e-mail me, please. Spoiler(s): Brand X Summary: Mulder wrestles with a promise. Feedback: Yes, please: dolph1n@internetcds.com This is the result of an exercise given to me by my beta reader, Triton. The exercise: take a topic and write 500 words. The topic was "rubber band." Mulder's Office The thick red elastic band stretched taut around Mulder's left wrist. With his right hand, he pulled it back away from his wrist as if he was drawing a bow. Taking aim at himself, he quickly released. The wide band popped against the back of his hand with enough force to leave an angry red welt at the point of contact. In reaction to this self-inflicted wound, an involuntary "Owwww" escaped his lips. His hand stung with a vengeance. Leaning back in his chair, Mulder closed his eyes and offered himself up to the pain. He embraced the pain as it was a preferable, albeit temporary, alternative to the unrelenting pangs of his addiction. Mulder was strong enough to take on more pain and suffering than most. After all, he had been through enough physical injuries and personal tragedy to last any one soul for multiple lifetimes. But the one thing Mulder knew he could never endure was the look of disappointment Scully would give him if he were to cave into this weakness. Only hours before, he promised Scully he would not give into his cravings for a cigarette. He was determined he would never go back on his word. Since his infestation with tobacco beetles, Mulder had been fighting against a constant craving for nicotine. Scully saved his life by administering near lethal doses of the legal drug, but Mulder couldn't help but wonder if the side effect of addiction was almost as bad as the infestation itself. His stomach gnawed, beads of sweat broke out on his forehead, and his breathing became erratic. "Snap," he gave his hand another forceful pop with the rubber band, attempting another temporary diversion. His body and mind screamed for the chemical, telling him it was more necessary to his survival than air, food, water, or sleep. These irrational thoughts crowded his head and urged him to reach into the wastepaper basket and retrieve the crumpled package of cigarettes he had previously thrown away. Perhaps just the smell of the package would offer him some measure of relief. Succumbing to his thoughts, he pulled the pack of Morley's out of the trash and took in a deep whiff of the fragrant tobacco. "More necessary than air, food, water, or sleep," his mind reeled, as he peeled away the cellophane. Then, something from deep inside him suddenly took control, and he snapped his hand again with the rubber band. His hand was swollen; the rubber band was now cutting off his circulation. "But not more necessary than Scully's respect," he cried. He picked up the telephone and quickly dialed Scully's number. "Scully," he sobbed into the telephone. "Please help me. Tonight, I almost did something I don't want to do. I'm afraid I won't make it through the night without you." "Hold on, Mulder. I'm on my way," Scully replied, her voice calming him through the receiver. Mulder took a deep breath and sighed, "Not more important than Scully." ~fin~