"Touch" by Marie Endres joemimi@prodigy.net Classification: Prose Vignette; Scully Angst Rating: PG Spoilers: "Within" Disclaimer: Mulder, Scully and Skinner are not mine. They belong to Chris Carter, 1013 Productions and Fox Broadcasting. Notes/Summary: For Georgia, who simply had to know why Scully kept touching Skinner. "Touch" A touch. A hand reaches out to touch another. It can be soothing, gentle, meant to convey a peace in the heart of stormy turmoil. A touch can be a means to an end, a beginning of a journey. It can be a crossing from here to there, a jump across space to bring an intimacy long denied. A touch from a lover can inflame, can promise. It can linger and it can move, providing a springboard of pleasure for the soul and body. A lover's touch can be insistent, demanding a return on an investment made. The investment? It is a risk to touch, more risky than any IPO. It takes us beyond ourselves and puts us in a dangerous spot, another's place. When fingers connect with skin, it is not our own softness that we feel, but another's. We are on foreign ground, yet we long to bow and kiss it in gratitude for our return home to ourselves. I am not that fortunate. There is no home for me now, except for the spot within that I protect from what the facts tell me. I can reach out and touch the facts, they are more present than what I know to be real. I want to keep my touch to myself if I cannot touch that which I know to be truth. I will not betray the touch of the one I love by believing the lies, the maelstrom of theories surrounding our present. While I know very little to be sure, there is one promise to which I hold fast: life began with a touch and the life within me is no different. My touch can rest on so few, there are not many who have accompanied us on this journey. It has been a dark path, where beasties and bumps in the night have become constant companions, not an environment conducive to the touch of friends or family. We have walked alone so often, but never without the watchful eye of one worrying and wondering of our well-being. He has touched me, searching for a sign to reassure him that I was not harmed by the alive dead. Death would come near me, but not touch me. I touch him. My fingers brush the fold of fabric that make up his jacket. The fibers are woven together, thread over thread in an unbroken pattern that makes a smooth finish. Oh, what a tangled web we weave. My hand does not shirk back in the face of interrogation. I will hold onto what I can, an anchor while on an evil sea. I attempt to stop him without words, with a mere gesture. I know that his perceived integrity is our only free ride, our only "in." I must maintain his place. And so I let my hand rest upon him, to still him, to touch another, to remind him of me and all that I carry within. END Feedback: Touch an angsty writer with your kind words: joemimi@prodigy.net Thanks as always to Georgia, for answering the call yet again.